Search Boozehoundz

Monday, December 22, 2014

If it’s Tuesday it Must be Tuscany: The Wines of Frescobaldi

Frescobaldi is a wine name nearly synonymous with Italy and Sangiovese. The history of the Frescobaldi family begins around the year 1,000, during Medieval Florence times. The Frescobaldi’s quickly became a family of wealth and power (unlike my clan). Perhaps most notably Dino Frescobaldi played an important role when he rescued his poet-friend from exile, a guy named Dante Alighieri, who wrote a little piece called the Divine Comedy. Not to be outdone Gerolamo Frescobaldi was an early composer of Baroque music. The family started wine production at the beginning of the year 1,300, and Frescobaldi wines became so well known that they were served at the Papal Court, and the Court of Henry the Eighth. It’s not known if any of his eight wives ever got to try a Frescobaldi wine, but we’re pretty sure, if they had, they would have liked them. Currently Frescobaldi owns five estate sites throughout Italy and chances are you’d had one of their wines. A recent tasting of several of their wines shows why they dominate. The Montesodi 2011 ($30) is all Sangiovese, soft and mild with black cherry and cedar and a medium finish. The Nipozzano Vecchie Viti 2011 ($33) is 90% Sangiovese and the other 10% made up of Malvasia, Nera, Colorino and Canaiolo, resulting in a smooth, bright fruit wine with a nice touch of acidity. The Castelgiocondo Brunello 2008 is 100% Sangiovese and has a nose of earth, mint, and eucalyptus with palate flavors of restrained bright red fruits. What’s impressive is that the quality of their wine has held the course of time, and that’s one for the ages. FRESOBALDI

And check out my Q&A from INTOWINE.COM I did with Leonardo Frescobaldi for more in depth info on their thoughts of wine, consumerism and ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment